Getting Ready

Roughly around September / October was when the very beginning of my adventure began. First I attended an information night for Rotary's Exchange Program. Then I decided with my parents to apply. I went to an interview where I simply had to answer questions truthfully and the best to my knowledge/ability.

I officially got accepted at the Peace Award Ceremony where I was an honourable mention. To be honest I didn't even realize it until members of my Rotary Club were congratulating me. Throughout the application process, there was lots of paperwork and stressful nights. Following were multiple appointments with doctors and dentist to make sure my health was up to par. Soon after everything was good to go I was invited to my first Rotary Weekend. 



At my first Rotary weekend at the Ecology Centre in Mattawa, we did teamwork building activities, with inbounds and outbounds. The council who decided which students were going to what countries observed us during these activities. We also had interviews where we talked about if we had a top 3 for choices in countries and they wanted to get to know us better. My favourite activity of the whole weekend was going for a snowshoeing hike, the nature around us was absolutely beautiful.


At the end of the weekend, all the outbounds got to find out where they will be spending their exchange year. Even though I hadn't really minded where I was going to, I got really nervous. I got Italy and I was so happy!


On April 15th I gave my first speech in Italian at the outbounds and parents day.


On May 26 and 27 we had our Bon Voyage Weekend. It was our last Rotary weekend before the inbounds returned home and the outbounds left for their exchanges. The outbounds received their red Canadian Youth Exchange blazers. Although they were already being covered in pins the second we got them.

On August 15th I had my visit with the Italian Consulate to get my visa. After that there was packing to be done and I was ready to set off on my adventure.

 

Comments

Popular Posts