Leaving Home

As many of you know, I left my home on September 2nd. I was to fly from North Bay to Toronto, Toronto to Heathrow, London and then from there to Milan, Italy. That is where my host family would pick me up. As I was saying my goodbyes to my family, my theory was that just like when I left for Ireland last year, I would cry the second I got onto the plane.

Although come to my surprise as tears were building up the flight attendant gave me a reassuring smile and said: "If you start crying, I'm going to start crying and we can't have that because then everyone will panic." My tears were instantly gone because just the way she said it or maybe it was nerves, I began to laugh.

Later when the flight attendant came to give out pretzels or cookies, whatever the snack was, she questioned me to why I almost cried earlier. I explained the adventure I was about to partake in and she thought it was so amazing, Then on top of that, the man who I was sitting beside said that his wife 30 years ago or so also went on the Rotary Youth Exchange. You never know who you'll meet and help you.

 


Once in Toronto, I got to spend a few hours wandering around in Terminal 3 while I waited for my flight. I had some Wendy's and actually while I was waiting for my order, a police officer overheard what I got. He was so surprised you could get a frosty with both chocolate and vanilla in it, I found that hilarious. Then when it got close for my flight I went into security.

On my flight to London, I watched The Greatest Showman and Solo: A Star Wars Story, both were incredible and I really enjoyed them. I had a pretty good meal, with cheese, crackers, pasta, a bread roll, cake and etc. Also, I found it funny that the airline staff kept offering me wine whenever they walked by, I must have looked older and stressed than I actually was.





I get to London and then my first struggle with security came, it was really no big deal, I just had to convince them that maple syrup was safe. I had to throw out my shampoo and conditioner in order to bring it but that wasn't a problem I could always buy more. Anyway, because I took so long in security and had no idea where I was going, I missed my flight.

They got me a second one and it was no issue for them. They called my host family to let them know and it all worked out for everyone because the new airport I was landing was closer. I arrived safely and I am so happy with my host family. They did lose my bag but the airport sent it straight to the house within a week. I got really lucky with everything and I'm grateful for it.

Comments

  1. Awe I loved reading this I hope you write more about your trup! I hope you have a wonderful time 😍

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts