La Danza Classica (Classical Dance)

When I got to Italy my host family asked me about my interest in sports.
I talked about my four main sports, which are dance, archery, running and soccer/football.
They were very happy to tell me that there is a dance academy down the road run by nuns.
My host mom got in contact and asked if there was a way to try out a class before taking it/ paying for it.
And it turns out they had a whole week dedicated to that.


So I met the teacher for the day, Francesca and her daughter, Giulia. I took all the classes that Giulia took
because they kindly let me try them all out, also they both speak a bit of English so it was easy for us to
talk. I took a ballet, modern and a stretching class. I enjoyed them all, but I already knew that this year
I wanted to be focusing on ballet. I filled in the paperwork and paid for the month of October. I would
start after the Italy tour.


I showed up to my first class a couple weeks later and already I had a feeling this going to go great.
My new teacher, Silvia also speaks a bit of English so she could set me up with new dance clothes and
shoes. When it was time for class to start and I realized that I may have managed to sign up for
competitive ballet compared to just a class for anyone to join. Alright, I was thinking, no problem I got
this. So far this month I have proven to myself that I really do. I already have seen a major improvement
in myself as a dancer and that’s exactly what I wanted. Also for our jumping exercises, I have them down
perfectly, I feel pretty proud about that.

Once in a while in the changeroom, yes I find it hard. None of the girls speak English so we have a barrier
to cross, also they have been dancing together for years and I show up. Although through the month I
have put myself out there more, offering smiles and ciao’s where I can. At a lesson not too long ago a girl
gave me a high five once we finished an across the room exercises together. She was proud of us and that
felt great. All my improvement will take time and I acknowledge that 100%. I am excited to continue to
dance with these girls and possibly make some new friends soon with my Italian getting better.  


Comments

Popular Posts